Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Going Around

Dec 30, 2009


Today I feel so much better after taking proper eat in the last few days. Yup, eating properly at the regular schedule is best for your health and that’s the answer for every health problems. I don’t know how much I should be grateful for every meal given to me and to my family; perhaps I just have to be thankful every day just to be sure that I am thankful enough. I know some people are not fortunate as I am. It is hard for them to make sure that they will have enough food for today. And tomorrow is still mystery.

My mom and I went to take a walk. She wants to show me the Karebosi link, an underground mall which the first one in the eastern part Indonesia. Other than that, she needs inspiration to work on her customers clothes. She got stuck so she needs to see clothes in the stores just to get an idea.

But first we went to have lunch in our family long time favorite meatball warung.  We called it buleng, because the owner who’s also the chef, the servant has fair skin. He is always reminds us to our beloved grandpa: his posture, his grayish white hair, his wrinkle skin with black dots here and there, ahh.. they are so much alike. We have been their customers since I was in elementary school. In their menu they have meatball soup, cassava soup (sup ubi), which can only be found in sulawesi. It is a mix of noodle and bean sprouts with fried peanuts, slices of beef and fried cassava. Both meatball and the cassava soup sometimes accompanied by lontong (food consisting of rice steamed in a banana leaf), available on request. The amazing things are, the taste of their menu never changes and the place, the way the tables arranged is never change too. It all the same. One difference is now they have big freezer for cold drinks.

On the last couple of years, nor my mom and dad ever see that old man. He has been replacing by someone younger, which we believed it’s his son. We think that the old man probably has passed away and now his son continues the family business. My last visit on Idul Fitri holiday, we did not see the old man too. Considering how old he could be, we were somehow convinced that the old man has passed away. I don’t know why none of us ever ask about the old man to his son..

So, my mom and I ordered cassava soup with meatball. We also had lontong and raviolis. At first I was not sure that we are going to finish them all. But we did! Wow..  while enjoying the meal, I caught the sight of the old man. He is still alive! He is wearing white t-shirt and short pants. I saw him going out from the kitchen and coming into the house. His hair is all white now and he moves slowly and carefully. Oh wow.. I never know that I could be so lucky to see the glance of that old man again. Then I remember my grandpa. I guess if he is still alive, he will be no different with that old man: fragile but lovable.

Then we went to Makassar Trade Center of MTC for short. It is similar with the ones in Jakarta. So it is packs with sellers with various stuffs. Before we took pete-pete to get us home, we bought fried cassava and eat them on the way home. It was so delicious.

After maghrib, my Uncle Julis and his wife came to home. While we exploring the programs in my laptop, the tv broadcast a news that the 4th president of Indonesia has passed away. The current president, SBY, declared national mourning week. Goodbye Gus Dur, we thank you for all the goodness you have done for plurality and for this nation. Hope your spirit remains and your struggle be continued by the young.

No comments:

Post a Comment